Well, I was reading a news article today about how Charter/Spectrum is telling the FTC that Title II is making it so they don’t invest in their network but they are telling investors that it isn’t causing any issues. Also had a link in the article saying that every user on their 60Mbps tier will be upgraded to 100Mbps, the problem I have with this is they are not increasing the upload speed. Still a crappy 5Mbps, its taking me forever to complete my first backup with CrashPlan Small Business due to this.
I have been playing around with creating Docker containers. I’ve created two so far. One to mine Monero (XMR) with a CPU where everything is automatically set and the other is to run a full Monero Node. It can be difficult to create the container, but it is actually fun too. Maybe I will create more in the future.
I really hate web pages that have a Java web app on them. Especially since the days of being able to run them are going to be going away shortly. Currently, Firefox ESR 52 32-bit allows you to run them, but once they move the ESR to the next version the ability to run them goes away. HTML5 pages are much better, to bad legacy network gear (I’m looking at you old HP ProCurve at work) will never be updated……
Well, port forwarding in RouterOS is way different then any other router I’ve used so far. Tonight I’m hoping I have enough time to figure out what I did wrong so I can get the ports I need to forward forwarded out.
I have started planning upgrades for my mountain bike. Not going to be cheap but worth it in the end. I want to convert from a 3×7 drivetrain to a 1×11 drivetrain, upgrade the fork, brake levers & grips. My wishlist of parts is as follows below. I don’t expect anyone to buy these parts for me, but I won’t be upset if someone does 😉
- Shimano Deore XT M8000 Bottom Bracket – 68mm BSA
- Shimano SLX M7000 Mountain Bicycle Crank Set – FC-M7000-11-1, 170mm, No Gear
- Wolf Tooth 96BCD Drop Stop Chainring for 11-speed Shimano SLX, XT and XTR Cranks
- KMC X11SL 11 Speed 116L DLC Bike Chain Orange
- KMC Missing Link 11 DLC Bike Drivetrain
- Shimano SLX RD-M7000 Rear Derailleur One Color, Medium Cage
- Shimano SLX CS-M7000 Casette, 11-46
- Shimano SLX SL-M7000 Trigger Shifter
- Park Tool FR-5.2G Cassette Lockring Tool
- Shimano XLX SM-RT70 Rotor – Centerlock x2
- Shimano SLX Rear Hub FH-M7000 Center Lock 32h
- Shimano SLX M7000 Mountain Bicycle Hub – HB-M7000
- Nylon Cable Ties – 4” – Multi Color (Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, Fuschia, Orange, Gray, Purple) – 500 Pieces
- Partstock Anodic Oxidation Multicolour Aluminum Allow Bicycle Bike Brake Cable Cap End Tips Crimp
- Yuauy (Total 70 PCs) Cable End Crimps 1.8 mm Alloy Road Mountain Bicycle Bike Brake Tips Shifter 10 PCs For Each Color OF Red Black Gold Silver Green Blue Purple
- Spank Spoon 32 Bicycle Rim – 26 inch – CO2M32126 x2
- Chain Guide, 30-40T, CYSKY MTB Chain Guide Direct Mount Chainring Guard Perfect for Most Bicycle Road Bike Mountain Bike BMX Fixie (Allow Aluminum, BB Mount) (BB Mount, Black)
- Bar End Plugs Wake Handlebar End Caps Bike HandleBar Plugs for Most Bicycle, Mountain Bike, Road Bike, MTB, BMX Black
- DEERU Ergonomic Design Bicycle Grips, Aluminium Alloy Lock Bicycle Handlebar Grips for MTB BMX Folding Bikes
- Senzeal Aluminum Alloy Bicycle Tire Valve Caps French Style Wheel Dust Covers Bike Air Valve Caps 6pcs Orange
- Continental Bike Tube 26 x 1.75-2.5 – 42mm Presta Valve x3
- RaceFace Crank Boot 2-Pack Small Orange
- Jagwire Mountain Pro Derailleur Kit Maxxis Orange
- Jagwire Pro Brake Cable Kit Mountain SRAM/Shimano, Orange
- Avid Speed Dial 7 levers x2
Been playing around with a RouterOS VM a bit at work (wanted to try out “The Dude” at work to see if I can use it). I think converting from EdgeOS to RouterOS is going to be a bit of work, but I’ll pull a config file from my EdgeRouter-X and just get started. I mean, its all I can really do 😉
Well, my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X and UniFi AP Lite AC combo stopped working. Picked up a TP-Link Archer C7 to get us through until I could troubleshoot the Ubiquiti gear, decided to replace them with a MikroTik hAP ac after reading that Ubiquiti gear likes to die after around 18 months. Definitely not what I need at home. Configuring the MikroTik will be more work for me then I’m used to, but performance should be as good as or better than the Ubiquiti combo. I should also be able to keep the EdgeRouter-X around as a 5 port gigabit switch if I want to, powered by the hAP ac (it comes with a 24V wall wart and supports PoE out on port 5). I’m hoping I can easily get IPv6 working on the hAP ac, since it was a PITA on my EdgeRouter-X.
Been a while since my last update. Haven’t been doing a whole lot. Just busy working and trying to keep my kids from killing themselves. Its harder then it sounds. I did pick up some USB outlet covers. One is in our kitchen and the other on my wife’s side of the bed, with an Echo Dot plugged into it (just more room on the power strip now). To go with our new mattress topper, we picked up a new box spring/foundation since our current one is shot. We did decide to try out Sling TV, I haven’t really used it yet but my wife has. We will probably end up subscribing to it so we get Disney, Disney Jr. & Nick Jr. for Lucas. Picked up an OTA antenna so we can get some local channels when we have not Internet. It arrives today, not sure how I will plug it in yet though (it is an amplified one). For my side of the bed I picked up a Quick Charge 3.0 compatible outlet & cover, since my phone is a QC 3.0 phone. Finally, also decided I wanted our home server to be able to communicate with its UPS. Picked up a cable a while ago only to find out my USB -> Serial adapter is bad, so I picked up a new one.
My wife and I have had our current mattress for a while and while it is still comfortable it needs some help. We picked up a Fieldcrest 3″ cooling foam topper at Target yesterday. Didn’t fix it 100% but it was a good first step. Also didn’t wake up covered in sweat like we used to.
I picked up a Wemo® Mini Smart Plug for my wife’s nightstand light last week. It integrates nicely with Alexa (unlike my Sensi Thermostat) and so far I’m happy with it. I’ve only had one issue with it so far that I can blame on the integration. Every once and a while, Alexa will refuse to turn it on or off until you use the Wemo app to do it. I’m thinking something gets a little out of sync between them but I do not know for sure. The bigger issue I have is my wife refuses to use it at night, she just turns the nightlight off at the bulb like she always has. Means when I get home I have to turn the light on at the bulb then tell Alexa to turn the switch off. I’m thinking of modifying the light so the switch doesn’t work, but I’m not sure I want to do that yet. But as of right now, I can recommend the Wemo® Mini Smart Plug, especially if you have an Amazon Echo of some sort.